Allen And The Mirror
"You're cute" the mirror softly spoke
"But more than a feeble cub with a beard you know"

He cried, "Why can't I be forever this little folk?"
"Never you once say you love the looks of a wise owl?"
And Nature rode by the night he clocked sixteen
To sow the crops forbidden
He woke up to feel the prickles
Wondering how one night had brought so many troubles.

"Who planted on my face these fiendish briers?"He asked the mirror on the nightstand
"So bad how a cherub yesterday looks a chimp today with hairs -
Or am I just blind?"


"I can feel your pain little one"The mirror replied calmly
"Tis how watched your grandpa grow till he passed on -
Wait a few days to behold the garden that charms every lady"


Unconvinced, the boy Allen broke into solemn tears
On a barter of magic for adult fears
and the sores razors will bring
Aftershave that makes father moan when it stings

"You'll need to check your armpit too
and down below your fleshy pipe"

The looking glass blurted hiding his face from his fiery gripe
While the grandfather clock beside chimed two.

"Promise my poor heart Anabel
and I won't have momma auction you"

While deaf Walter rang the breakfast bell
Running off he cried, "Or I'll make everyone forget you ever stood!"

And so it came to be that Anabel fancied the beards on Allen
Her fingers happily lost in the forest
While she sang sweetly like a wren
and Nature kissed proudly another century upon the mirror's glassy breast.

- Martins Deep


Enjoyed reading? Commenting is now easy. I introduced Facebook Comment feature. Please help my blog grow by leaving a comment and sharing with friends. Thank you!