Happy Sunday, dear readers. Today, I will be sharing Wholesomely Messy maiden story. 

Our first feature is Igbru Endurance Okhiemute. She tells a touching story about her childhood days, teenage struggles and how, though less privileged, she isn't relenting in chasing her goals and living a life worth emulating. Let's read her story below.

MY STORY

Growing up was amazing but at some point things changed. I remember mama used to sell 'akara balls just to support dad in running the home. This she was doing after few months of giving birth to my younger brother. 

I remember when I had an accident with an okada when she sent us on an errand as usual to get her the groundnut oil she would use in frying akara the next day. I couldn't walk for some time. Mum was there to see that I recover quickly to resume school again. 

Dad was very concerned about our education when we were still young,he checked our books often to know how well we were performing. But when we attained to puberty, his attitude changed towards us. 

I was very dull, that spelling my name was even a problem. Out of a class of 25 I would come out 22nd. I was very playful. At some point I accepted the name "mumu" that both my parents, friends and neighbours called me. It affected my performance in school. I felt I would never know how to read or write until I die. 

Until I got to Primary-4. My teacher was so serious about us learning how to read. Guess what! I rose from the 22nd position to 2nd position. I could spell well and write beautifully. In fact, I came first in a common entrance examination where many schools better than I am, per se, were well represented. I was made the head girl of my school at the age of 11. 

Dad wasn't concerned about our performance again. He didn't buy us exercise books we had to look for ways of getting our books. We peeled egusi so we could sell. I got used books from a boarding school close to our house just so we could write in class. We cleared grasses for people around their houses and in their farms also. I had to learn how to plait so I can also save money for my fees. 

When I first saw my period I told my mum about it and she chased me away like a smelly pig to go clean up. I used materials in the house - mum is a seamstress - to absorb the red liquid. I graduated from secondary school before I could afford to get pads for my period and that was because I had already started working. 

I was a sales personnel in a plumbing shop for more than a year so I could save enough money for the future. I paid my WAEC, NECO and JAMB fees by myself. I got admission and I paid my acceptance fees and part of my school fees all by myself. 

We ate dinner whenever he comes back from work most times as late as 10-11a.m. This never discouraged me from being the best. Though it makes me cry. 

I copied notes for my course mates in exchange for money. I was the class rep in junior class. I wrote love letters for my female folks so I could eat something during break time. I also taught a neighbour for money. When dad comes back from work everyone flees. Feeding was a problem so most times we visited friends to eat good food. My dad kept 100 Naira as money for lunch for the six of us. We ate dinner whenever he comes back from work most times as late as 10.00 - 11.00 p.m. This never discouraged me from being the best. Though most times then I doubted if they are my biological parents. I was the class captain in junior class. There were times I had to read with kerosene lanterns because of the electricity issues we had. I copied notes for my classmates for money. I virtually sponsored myself through out my stay in the University. All these never discouraged me. I knew what I wanted and went for it. 

Food for Though: Someone once said what you experience in life really makes you who you are.
There are three powerful quotes that I've always kept me going, they are;

1.  Life is a series of punches. It presents a lot of challenges. It presents a lot of hardship,but the people that are able to take those punches and able toove forward are the ones that really do have a lot of success and have a lot of joy in their life and have a lot of stories to tell,too. - JOSH TURNER.

2. Our ability to handle life's challenges is a measure of our strength of character.  - LES BROWN

3. Accept the challenges so that you can fell the exhilaration of victory. - GEORGE PATTON.

Challenges are bound to come on your way to success but it is how you handle it that matters. I never allowed myself to be overwhelmed by challenges. Neither did I live in self pity.

It was not easy at all but I never lose sight of my beautiful future. I always gave every opportunity I get my very best. I invested my time to study and work on myself.

I daily look in the mirror to remind myself of who I am and my worth. You could adopt that strategy too. Always tell yourself that you can do it no matter what it would cost you.


Don't allow the pain of today  deter you of the gain of what tomorrow brings.

- Igbru Endurance Okhiemute
Endurance is a student of Accounting at the University of Benin. Born in Kaduna State, Nigeria. A native of Delta State. She's passionate about the girl child. She loves to read and write. 

Do you have stories or poems about your teenage years? Share with me on Wholesomely Messy by clicking HERE to submit yours.


Enjoyed reading? Please help my blog grow by leaving a comment and sharing with friends. 
Thank you!