POEM 102: BECAUSE YOU'RE MY FRIEND 
(for Sammy Hikay Gentle)

Because you are my friend,
my life is enriched in a myriad of ways.
Permit me to list few of them
in my hundred and second poem:
Like a cool breeze on a sweltering day,
Like the first drop of rain,
Like stolen kisses in the cover of night,
Like drop of honey in coffee black,
Like a ray of sunshine parting glowering clouds,
Like rainbow across the blue sky,
Like a lifeline when I'm fallen deep
into the pity pit of haunting hurt,
Like a mother's smile when I comb her hair,
Like a father's whistling when the aroma of mother's soup
finds its way into his large nostrils,
Like the sigh of relief that washed through America
when Osama was taken out,
Like little lyrics lisping life
when my favourite song comes on air,
you lift me up because you're my friend.

In good times, we soar,
like weightless balloons over neon rainbows,
while aloof the world wonder watching, wishing...

In bad times, you are soothing balm
for my pummeled soul,
reaching down
with your heart of hearts
to massage my swollen sole.
Little wonder this journey feels better,
in the end, 
it is because you're my friend.

I learn so much from you;
you help me see old things in new ways
and new things in old ways.
Eden every evening ever even
when my odds you you make even.
I wonder if you are aware
of the bright seeds you are sowing in me
and how huge this tree will be
and oh, the fruits it will bear
and oh, the weary it will shelter
and oh, the hungry it will feed.
No, this isn't just for me,
you touched a life you never met
because you are my friend.

I'm a better person for knowing you,
so that everyone I interact with
is touched by your good effect on me.
You relax me, refresh me, renew me.
Your bounteous heart envelops me
in celestial joy and divine love and unending peace.

As you celebrate your birthday
may your life be filled with dazzling blessings,
just as I am blessed
by being your friend.

- Stefn Sylvester Anyatonwu
#365DaysOfPoetry
#Pengician
#SSA




Enjoyed reading? Please help my blog grow by leaving a comment and sharing with friends. 
Thank you.