People are addicted to a lot of different things but I’m addicted to writing. In fact, I’m so addicted, that I'm certain to spend my entire career as a writer.

Some people keep their addictions down to a reasonable level – after all, if you only indulge a few times a week, or once or twice a month, who’s going to notice? But I’m not that laid back; I write almost every day. I’ve tried all the usual things, even induced laziness, but no matter what I do, I always go back to my addiction. Writing.

WHY I WRITE

Permission to lift a word or two from Flannery O'Connor, 'I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say.'

Writing has been my creative muse of choice for as long as I can remember; from quirky stories about helpless lovers dying for love that came as a product of my addiction to romance novels coupled with my imagination, to poem about the trials and tribulations of adolescence, life struggles, disappointments, failures, delays, and everything that falls in between. The hobby that started out of teenage wonder has slowly transformed into the constant that I fall back on when I'm overwhelmed, depressed, stressed, and overthinking.

Hell, sometimes I even write when I'm happy. It's just what I do.

To me, there is nothing more therapeutic than putting pen to paper (or hand to keyboard) and getting out of my head.

Being a human is hard. It's confusing. It's overwhelming. We all know it. And honestly, we're all just looking for that one thing that keeps us sane. Writing down the things that are plaguing my mind, and being able to physically hold and look at my mental processes is the easiest way for me to understand what's going on in my head.

One of my favorite quotes about writing reads, "I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say."



How true is this?! The human brain is constantly pumping out new thoughts, stresses, ideas...how am I supposed to know what's going on in there if I don't take the time to express and process it?

But hey, clearly I don't just write for myself because I have the potential to make me go viral. NAH!
  • I write to inspire.
  • I write to make people laugh.
  • I write to share my opinions.
  • I write to give myself a voice.
  • I write because, like Peak, it's in me.
  • I write for the fun of it.
  • Hollop! For the bucks too, I write.


Although it can be difficult to come up with fresh poems and articles and one's muse may take a walk into the blues, being a writer with passion has pushed me and helped me in finding my identity as a writer, and has also helped me in uncovering what I might like to pursue as a career.

Oh yes... I got addicted!

I'll leave you with this final thought:Writing and reading others' writing is pretty damn cool. Every person you ever meet knows something you don't, and there is a lot of learning that can come from just taking a peek into someone else's psyche.

I hope my writing has inspired at least one person; I am so incredibly happy that I have this medium for expressing myself.

Also... if you are a writer, ADMIT IT, that you are ADDICTED. Be passionate about it.
Write, anyhow, anytime, anywhere, anyway...

Allow your passion drive you nuts into putting pen to paper until you leave behind a legacy ‘wordy' of emulation.

Even the dinosaurs were here for a while. You won't live forever. Write now!

Yours in inking,
Pengician