A friend once threw a certain question I dread, at me. She asked 'who is Stefn?'

I leaned over and whispered: 'Read my poems and you will get to know the real me'

My poems are from my heart and I write them about myself and things that has happened in my life. So my poetry means everything to me. 

It is my life and my soul, yet not entirely all about me.

People and Society:

Poetry is a damn beautiful way to express your beliefs, feelings, thoughts so that the reader can relate to and enjoy the experience perhaps he could not have at all in his life. 

Basically I think it is an art of communicating what exactly your senses feel and how your mind interprets them in such a way that the only words will arouse the exact sensory perceptions and thoughts in the reader.


What I meant to say is, all the five senses of smell, touch, hearing, taste, sight along with other perceptions such as balance, feelings, etc.. are to be expressed in a single medium(Words) but should arouse all sensory perceptions when reaches it's destination. This is basically what poetry does.

Emotions:

Poetry is my release, my freedom, my expression of self-it is an exorcism of pent up emotion. I write because I cannot NOT express my emotions with speech. Poetry has been an outlet to express my ideas or experiences to others as I wished I could express myself every time I spoke. For many reasons, writing has been my love and release since I was fifteen years old. I used to write fiction, but in my twenties, I discovered poetry was more of an instant release, a form of self therapy, healing, hope. I wrote for many years just for myself, until a mentor suggested publication, so after messing with experiments and finding my niche, I started a successful and popular publishing career in the online magazines. 


I have other books that might interest you. Click Here


Poetry is my sacred prayer, my purest expression, and I will always continue to master the art of poetry and write more. 

It is a coping mechanism. It's what I do whenever I'm feeling stressed or depressed. Sometimes though, I can write it just for fun, and that's what most people read and they think it's the best thing they've ever read. 

I've been told countless of times that being able to write is a gift that I was born with. not many people can really see it as an art, all they see it as is something that they don't want to interpret or analyze.

I guess I could say that poetry is basically a place where I go to do multiple things:
  • Have fun, 
  • let people know what kind of person I can be, 
  • think, express emotion and opinion, 
  • bash society/religion, government, stereotypes, boxed philosophies and also make people laugh away sorrows.
It's basically a sanctuary where I can be myself without worry.

The Journey So Far:

I have found over the course of years that my love for poetry has grown more, in depth, in breadth, in height. 

I never despised poetry. I’ve always admired the beauty of poetry. I was never a poet. In fact, songwriting and painting were the only artfulness I could boast of, before poetry found me.

Poetry isn't a piece of literature poets randomly write down. It isn't a skill you can pick up out of the blue, or a skill you can be born with. A Poem, in its entirety, is a way a poet or an author, expresses their views on the earth, life, or emotions.

I dabbled in writing poetry – creative writing groups on Facebook focused on a certain genre of writing (poetry), and I ended up with handful of my own poetry mingling with like minds that year – but I’ve always felt like I wasn’t that good at writing poetry. 

I’m still not sure that I’m good at writing poetry (though people say I am), but I have come to enjoy writing it. I’m no longer a passive participant in the world of poetry but an active one, and I am grateful for that.

I have published two collections of poems, namely 'Diary of a Broken Poet' and 'Sweetness'. I have also published poetry writing manuals detailing tools and tips that has helped me all through my poetry adventure. It is my desire that poetry sits on the lips of the street boys and girls, market women and farmer in the village. Hence, I set simplify my poems in such a way that they could relate with it.
Poetry is beautiful, I must confess. And the journey so far has been a beautiful one. 

Regardless of what you think of when you hear the word ‘poetry,’ there is beauty and meaning in the word itself and all it represents (which includes the poet). Poetry is my (he)art and I having fun.

It's the beauty of the heart. Do you want to know how beautiful my heart is? Click here to get a copy of my heart in lines and stanzas.

Happy World Poetry Day!
 
Enjoyed reading? Please leave a comment and share with friends. Thank you!